Monday, June 23, 2014

2014 Trackfest I

(Write up by Jen Gerth)  This weekend I headed over to Victoria to race the omnium event at the velodrome there. The omnium consists of 6 races over 2 days and I’ll be racing two omniums in Japan during the first two weeks of July, so this was a good tune up. 

Someone got too much sun!

With not a lot of riders in each category, but a lot of categories represented, my race was combined into a 15 rider A women/B men/C men/Master men field. I was determined to race hard all weekend to figure out where my fitness was at and I succeeded. Track racing is quite technical and I made some mistakes, but managed to place in the top 5 overall in the mass start events. Claire Cameron and Mical Dyck were on fire as well and provided fierce competition. In the end, I only placed as the first woman in one event with Claire taking the other five and had too many thirds to Mical’s seconds, so I landed on the third step of the podium. But I couldn’t have conceded to two better competitors and gained a lot of confidence for Japanese racing. 

How I started my day.

I also got to relax in between races at a fabulous B&B overlooking the ocean. I think the fact that I got to pick a teacup for my morning tea from any of the 500 in the house gave me an added edge.



No comments: